The Morning Cook works with the Kitchen Team to accomplish the goals and objectives of the Food Service Department. This position is responsible for the preparation and service of meals as assigned. The Evening Cook directs the Kitchen Assistants in the preparation, service and cleanup of assigned meals. This position takes place at Golden Gate National Recreation Area, and cannot be performed remotely.
There are two positions available. Please indicate in your application which shift you prefer:
- Morning Cook: Tuesday-Friday, 5:30am - 2:00pm, with the potential for additional hours on Monday, as available.
- Evening Cook: Monday-Thursday, 11:30 am-8:00 pm, with the potential for additional hours on Friday, as available.
- Prepare and cook buffet-style meals for up to 240 people.
- Direct kitchen assistants and other support staff during their shift.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment.
- Receive and stock deliveries of food and supplies.
- Label and store foods in a manner that meets NPS public health standards.
- Establish and maintain respectful, supportive and compassionate relationships with staff, volunteers and participants.
- Collaborate with Evening Cook on areas of need for upcoming meals.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Full benefits, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, retirement plan, and paid vacation, training days, and sick leave.
We are looking for candidates who have:
- Two years of related experience and or training or equivalent combination of education and experience. A degree in culinary arts is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of food safety and sanitation standards.
- Skills in all aspects of food preparation for large groups.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure and time limits.
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions as well as work independently.
*All NatureBridge Employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Final shot must occur 15 days or more before the start date. Here is the link to our full policy: NatureBridge COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. You must also pass a background check in order to be eligible for employment.
Regular afternoon and evening work required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to weather conditions outside at the time. Inside the kitchen the employee is exposed to extreme heat and cold, wet and humid conditions, fire, boiling liquids, knives, moving mechanical parts, fumes and airborne particles, toxic chemicals, and the risk of electrical shock. The employee will be working in a confined area with other kitchen employees. The noise level of the work environment is usually loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk or hear, taste and smell. The employee must be able to lift and or move up to 50 pounds. This employee will use culinary tools, machines and equipment. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Why should you join the NatureBridge team?
- We are a mission-driven organization that values your contributions and supports you in making a positive impact on youth and the environment
- You will get to work in a beautiful natural setting in a historic building in the Marin Headlands
- Join a team of dedicated staff who are passionate about what they do
How To Apply:
To apply send a resume and brief cover letter to the linked email. GOGAcook@naturebridge.org.
Who We Are:
NatureBridge provides environmental science education experiences for more than 30,000 students and their teachers every year in the world’s best classrooms: our National Parks. Our mission is to connect young people to the science and wonder of the natural world, igniting self-discovery, and inspiring stewardship of the planet.