- Retreat Space
- About Us
- Ways to Support Us
In a twist on the traditional 12 days (and that partridge in a pear tree), in early December we counted down to the holidays on social media with 12 ways to celebrate sustainably and support NatureBridge this season. If you missed any of our pithy posts, here’s a summary of all 12 Ways:
1. Here are a few staff favorites for gift packing, purchasing and repairing—many thanks to NatureBridge staff members Miho, Kim and Elise for sharing these great ideas!
2. Select NatureBridge as your designated charity on AmazonSmile* when you are shopping online. It only takes a few seconds to set up, and it makes a big impact every time you shop! It’s one of the easiest ways to support NatureBridge this holiday season—and all year round.
3. Give green with our partner Klean Kanteen! A family- and employee-owned B Corp, Klean Kanteen has been leading the charge in kicking single-use plastics since 2004. From the very beginning, their work has been driven by a love of adventure and a love of conserving wild places. As a special offer to NatureBridge supporters, Klean Kanteen is extending a 30% discount on everything in their online store from now until December 31. (Use promo code NBGIFT30.) If you’re looking for an eco-friendly and practical gift idea this holiday season, look no further!
4. Do you have a NatureBridge alum in your life who would adore some NB swag? Or maybe the NatureBridge lover is YOU! Either way, we’ve got you covered. Now through December 31, we’re offering multiple discounts (we’re talking up to 50% off!) on all the items in our NatureBridge store. Use promo code NB2022. It’s a great opportunity to shop for holiday gifts AND support NatureBridge—don’t miss out!
5. Looking for some inspiration for DIY holiday gifts? Guest blogger and NatureBridge staff member Courtney Lane shares some of their best tips for giving homemade goods in today’s post. We love the personal touch and low-waste options Courtney highlights here!
6. Did you know that buying used gear instead of new items typically avoids carbon emissions of 50% or more? Our partner REI has a fantastic used gear program for members where you can find great deals on gently-used items, giving usable items more adventures in the great outdoors and keeping them out of landfill. Members can also take advantage of their trade-in program, which puts your old gear back into circulation and grants you a credit towards future REI purchases. So if outdoor gear is on your gift list this season, check out these sustainable shopping alternatives from REI before you hit the sales.
7. One of the best ways to support NatureBridge is by making a commitment to the future of environmental education and stewardship by including us in your legacy planning. Founding member of NatureBridge’s 1971 Society Tracy Thompson puts it this way: “More than ever, our planet needs informed and passionate stewards. NatureBridge programs help meet this critical need. That is why I am a legacy donor—I believe that NatureBridge will play a vital role in educating and inspiring environmental stewards for generations to come.” Learn more about Tracy’s commitment to this important legacy and how you can join The 1971 Society.
8. Spending time in the great outdoors is a wonderful way to celebrate the season. But make sure to brush up on the Seven Principles of Leave No Trace before you hit the trails or the slopes this winter. If you need a quick refresher, check out the helpful resources offered by Leave No Trace—including this tongue-in-cheek “documentary” featuring the legend himself, Bigfoot.
9. Making an honorary donation to the Armstrong Scholars is a meaningful and zero-waste gift that honors your recipient and supports a fantastic program. The Armstrong Scholars inspires young women, trans-inclusive and non-binary femmes ages 15-18 to reach their highest potential, develop a stronger sense of self and explore their personal connection to nature during a 12-day backpacking trip in Yosemite’s High Sierra. Learn more about the program and how you can make these transformative adventures possible.
10. Are you a fan of Parks Project yet? We are! They are champions of our national parklands, donating over $2.5 million to conservation efforts since 2014. They also make some pretty awesome parks-themed gear. If you have a parks lover on your list, you’ll find some great gift options at Parks Project—plus you’ll be supporting our wildlands and parks!
11. Does your employer offer a matching gifts program? Most corporate giving programs will match your charitable contribution dollar for dollar—and some will even double or triple the original amount! As you consider making a year-end gift to NatureBridge, be sure to look into the matching options available from your employer. It’s a fantastic way to multiply the impact of your gift!
12. If you’re planning a Yosemite getaway this winter (or any time), book your stay with our partner @AutoCamp! For every night stayed with them, AutoCamp Yosemite donates $1 to NatureBridge. Booking a stay with them is a great way to support NatureBridge while enjoying Yosemite!
Happy holidays from all of us at NatureBridge!
*Editor's note: Amazon Smile was discontinued in 2023.