Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Program Development and Implementation
- Oversee all aspects of Environmental Science program implementation and development, including year-flow and hiring and training new and current staff.
- Provide support with daily logistics and operations and provide additional support in the field as needed.
- Stay abreast of and respond to changing trends in science education, environmental education, multicultural education, equity and inclusion and social and emotional learning. Facilitate the integration into the Environmental Science program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Staff Recruitment, Supervision, and Professional Development
- Directly supervise and measure performance of a diverse group of staff, including Mentor Teachers and Environmental Science Educators.
- Support supervision of special roles as needed (Education Assistants, Lab Steward(s), School Programs Coordinator, Evening Support, Site Managers).
- Lead strategic recruiting and hiring processes yearly for new Environmental Science Educators.
- Plan and implement staff training days for both new and returning Environmental Science Educators; trainings aim to improve mastery of risk management, science, Next Generation Science Standards, social and emotional learning, inquiry-based multicultural teaching skills, cultural relevancy and group development content.
- Work with the Environmental Science team to develop and refine curriculum and teaching resources in response to changing trends in environmental, multicultural and science education nationwide.
Program Budget and Resources
- Collaborate with Education Director on creating, maintaining and tracking an annual budget for the Environmental Science program, approve and submit program expenses in a timely fashion.
- Oversee all aspects of campus teaching resources, including a skins & skulls lab, a microscope lab, a marine lab with live animals and a future climate science lab.
- Monitor weekly teacher/parent evaluations for Environmental Science programs and address as necessary in relation to educational content, program quality and staff assessment.
- With support from the Director of Education implement program evaluation and grant-funded projects.
- Sit on the Golden Gate Education Committee and collaborate with Director of Education and other education program leaders to help articulate Golden Gate’s education vision and integrate programs internally and externally.
- Work together with staff from other NatureBridge programs and campuses to ensure best practices and sharing of resources.
- Sit on GGNRA Park Partner Education Committee and collaborate on planning an annual park partner education symposium.
- Work closely with sales and operations departments to determine staffing and training needs for educators.